When a child's enrollment contract begins in the middle of a billing cycle, you may choose to prorate their first tuition fee in order to charge the account for the dates they will attend. Below are the steps for charging a prorated rate to families. Please refer to how to build an Enrollment Contract to ensure a child will be placed in the appropriate class and displayed on the Attendance/Booking screen.
*The billing view featured in this article is a new experience and may look different than what you currently see in your Kangarootime environment. If you are interested in learning more about enabling this view, please contact Helpdesk@kangarootime.com.
Table of Contents:
Calculate a daily rate
- To calculate a daily rate for a monthly flat rate, divide the monthly flat rate by 4.333, the average number of weeks in a month. Then take that number and divide by 5, the number of days in the week. You have now calculated a daily rate from a monthly flat rate fee.
Ex: $1000 (monthly flat rate)/4.333 (average weeks in a month) = $230.79
$230.79 (weekly rate calculated above)/5 (days in a week) = $46.16
- To calculate a daily rate for a weekly flat rate, divide the weekly flat rate by 5, the number of days in the week. The result is the daily rate from a weekly flat rate fee.
Ex: $250 (weekly flat rate)/5 (days in a week) =$50 per day
Calculate the account charge
- Now with your daily rate, you will calculate the amount that will be charged to the family’s account. To calculate this, count the number of operating days within the week or month that the child will attend and multiply that number by the daily rate.
Ex. The child will attend 3 days of his first week at the center.
3 (days enrolled) x $50 (daily rate) = $150 to be charged to the account
Add a Charge Transaction Type for tuition*A charge transaction type for tuition may already be created for the center, if a transaction type has been created, please move to the next step, charging the tuition to the account.
How to add a Transaction Type
- Click Billing from the Purple navigation menu
- Click Settings
- Click Transactions
- Click + Add Transaction Type
- Enter a Name for the Transaction
- Select the Transaction Type Charge
- Select the Transaction as Tuition-based
- Select the Center(s) that will be associated with the Transaction
- Select the Roles with permission to apply or refund the Transaction
- Assign a GL Code (Optional)
- Click Save
*Additional information is available on How to Add Transaction Types
*Additional information is available on Roles and Permissions
Manually Charge tuition to the account
Charge the weekly or monthly prorated tuition to the account.
- Select Families
- Select Accounts
- Select the family account to charge
- Select the BILLING Tab
- Select the ACTIVITY button
- Select +Add button
- Select Charge
- Select the Child to charge tuition
- Enter the required fields marked with an asterisk
- Enter the Amount based on your daily rate fee calculation
- Select Save
Create an Itemized Bill
- Click Families
- Click Accounts
- Click on the Account in which you would like to create a Manual Bill
- Click Billing
- Click Itemized Bills
- Click the + Create Manual Bill button
- The Billed Date will be today's date
- Select a Payment Due Date
- A Payment Late Date and Late Fee are optional, but highly recommended as the manual itemized bill will be considered the most recent bill with any forward balance included.
- Select the transactions you would like to have appear on the bill.
- Click Send Bill
The process of prorating is only needed for the first billing cycle period. The billing automation will begin for the next billing cycle and charge the full flat rate fee.